Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Arise and Walk


Just days ago, Sofie drew this picture of herself with her brother and sister.


Yesterday I discovered that first steps are even more exciting the second time around.

It has been a very long and difficult past 2 months since Sofie broke her tibia. Last week, Sofie's cast was removed. As one stage of her recovery ends, a new journey begins. Foolishly, I assumed Sofie's recovery would be swift once the cast came off her leg. However, being in a wheelchair for 7 weeks has left her incredibly weak. Now, our focus shifts from healing to restoration as Sofie must learn to walk all over again.

Late last week, the Honeybug started physical therapy. The first session was nothing short of brutal. After 1 1/2 hours, Sofie was finally able to stand with assistance. With silent tears streaming down her face, she stood. Weak from muscle atrophy, her legs shook as they struggled to bear her weight. Unable to take a step, Sofie could not even speak through her frustration. Though she desperately wanted to walk, she didn't have the strength to do so.

As my heart broke for my little Bug, I saw a look on her face that I had never before seen. Her tired expression reflected a dishearted mixture of anger, fear and frustration. Locking eyes with my sweet daughter, I calmly spoke encouragement and truth into her spirit.

With assurance, I reminded Sofie that Jesus had seen this before and that it was His power that was helping her stand. I spoke of how he healed those who couldn't walk before and he would do it again. I recalled that Jesus said, "stand up and walk". (Luke 5:23 NLT) I assured her that Jesus was holding her up, cheering her on, and looking forward to seeing Sofie not only walk, but run.

For a moment, Sofie's eyes softened. Still, she was mentally and physically exhausted. Out of strength, Sofie simply could not go on. Silently, I pushed her in her wheelchair and buckled her into her car seat. Her voice quivering, Sofie said, "Mommy, will I never walk again?" Her words pierced my heart. I kissed her head and reminded her that the day would come when she would walk again and that it would be sooner than she could imagine. As we drove home, Sofie fell asleep in the van, while I silently prayed for God to fill us both with patience and strength.

Later that night, as we said our bedtime prayers, Sofie took my head in her hands and said, "Mommy. Do you know why I didn't pray for my leg tonight? I decided that maybe Jesus needs some time. I'm just gonna give him some time." As I closed her bedroom door behind me, tears burned my eyes as my heart broke for my daughter. Right there, I prayed...

"LORD, you heal the broken. You restore strength. You have carried her through her injury, giving her legs rest. Now, I ask you to strengthen her heart and her legs so that she might endure this battle couraeously. We await your complete healing. Father, let her arise and walk."

What a difference 4 days can make! Yesterday afternoon, we saw the physical therapist for the second time. I am thrilled to announce that with the assistance of her walker, Sofie took her first steps. Remarkably the flexibility in her legs had improved 65 degrees, going from 15 to 80. While our goal is 143 degrees, it is amazing progress, only possible through God's healing power. Today, it was me that cried, as my heart rejoiced in praise and gratitude for all that God has done since last Thursday.

Today, I received a scripture. It read, "For,lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come." (Song of Solomon 2:11-12 KJV) Ironically, it is the very scripture I placed on a cork board in Sofie's room just days before her accident. I hear God's assurance and it fills me with peace. Soon, a day is coming when Sofie will not only walk, but run in the summer sun. With joy, she will ride her bike, glide on her scooter, and shoot baskets in the driveway. For the time has come for Sofie to "arise and walk".


Sofie taking her first steps at physical therapy on May 11, 2010

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cried reading this! So wonderful!!!

Heather Arbuckle said...

I cried writing it! God is so good!