Pages

Monday, September 1, 2008

First Day of School



It was a big week for our family as school started on Monday. Along with the usual excitement of starting a new year, this will be the first year the kids and I have not started school together in the same building. My school day starts about an hour earlier than Jack and Lily's, so I was disappointed that I wasn't there to see them off. I was grateful when my friend Jennifer, who works at Sofie's preschool, sent this picture to my cell phone to assure me they were all smiles and excited for their first day.

Jack, a fifth grader, has three teachers and rotates classes throughout the day to prepare him for middle school next year. Some of his friends from his "ALPHA" class are clustered with him, so he was relieved to find several familiar faces in his new homeroom. Jack's favorite subject is science and he is quite excited "to get his hands dirty" to quote his teacher. He is also excited for his gifted classes to start and is intrigued by a mystery field trip that is yet to be announced. Since the big focus in ALPHA this year is physics, we are predicting it will be a trip to NASA in Houston. Sounds like a trip that Mommy or Daddy will enjoy as well.

Once more, Lily has charmed the socks off her teacher. And we are thrilled that Mrs. Gahan just happens to be an Iowa State graduate. (Go Iowa State, beat those Hawks!) Lily loves writing stores, but the most exciting part of Lily's day is definitely recess! She is quite the social butterfly. Ha! Lily has an enormous crush on a boy named Nicholas A, and entertains us with new stories about recess each evening at dinner. She too is excited for her gifted classes to begin this week.

Sofie has started preschool and has the same teacher that Jack and Lily had at her age. We feel so blessed that Miss Jenny will get to work her magic once more and help us prepare Sofie for Kindergarten next year. Sofie loves drawing pictures and playing in housekeeping. Our Honeybug tends to be the most introverted of our bunch, and Miss Jenny is doing a lovely job of making Sofie feel safe and free to explore her new environment.


Since I am teaching in another district this year, I no longer have the privilege of seeing Jack and Lily in my classroom after school, nor do I get to exchange smiles with them throughout the day, as I have grown used to the past few years. We agree that it is best for them to attend their neighborhood school, but I do miss them terribly. Still, I am thrilled they are so happy at their school, and I feel so proud of the way they have grown more independent in my absence. Luckily, my schedule does allow me to pick up Sofie each day. I love catching her as she runs into my arms. And it is wonderful to hear all about Jack and Lily's day at school when I finally walk through the door. Marty's new job has been extremely flexible as we get into our new routine, allowing him to drop the kids off in the morning and pick them up after school several days a week. Our dear friends the Recks are helping us out as well, picking Jack and Lily up for us when Marty cannot make it on time. What a blessing our kids attend the same school!

We are looking forward to another great year, and we are so thankful for the teachers who will share so much of themselves with our children.

No comments: